Listen to Me

By BlindEagle

blindeagle@codeysworld.com

Copyright © 2008 by BlindEagle. All rights reserved.
 

Hey, listen to me!

A young boy about twelve years old is wandering around one of the biggest cities in the world, and definitely a most famous city. It’s about 20 degrees outside and not a place for anyone to be wandering around, especially a twelve year old. Why is he out on the busy downtown streets at 1:00 am? Hmm... should I go over and ask him? Maybe he’s some troubled kid who has a behavior problem, or just a rotten brat who wants his way and got out of the house without his parent’s knowledge or permission.

What kind of kid would even want to be out on a cold winter’s night at this hour? I know this is the city that never sleeps, but a kid wandering around such a city is either lost or… naw, no way. He is only like twelve, or looks like it. Who in their right mind would… or even worse….

It’s 20 degrees out here and will be even colder the later it gets.

What? I don’t know about that. Besides, I don’t know anything about that kid or where he is from or if he even wants to… what are you saying? And why taunt me with that thought? There are millions of other people in this city. I’m not heartless, I give to the homeless and just today I put a fifty dollar bill into the red kettle at the mall; you know the risk of dealing with homeless people and far worse if it’s a twelve year old kid.

You must be kidding, what would my neighbors think, me bringing home a kid off of the streets… well, yes I want to help him, but I can get into a lot of trouble taking in an unknown homeless kid. There are services set up for kids like him…. I know I’m a cop, but I just got off duty and I’m tired!

All right, all right, I’ll go talk to him, but I am not taking him in, I repeat, I’m not taking him home with me!

“Hey kid, what are you doing out here on the streets this time of night? Are you lost? Look kid, the streets are busy even at this time of the night, but this crowd isn’t necessarily a nice bunch… do you have a name?... well, Chad, my name is Scott, detective Scott… no, I’m not here to do anything to you or arrest you, all I want to know is why you're alone here on this busy street when it's freezing out here. When was the last time you’ve eaten? Two days? That’s the reason you’re out here because you are too cold and hungry to sleep?”

I’m way ahead of you with that idea, so back off and let me handle this….

“Hey Chad! Why don’t you let me take you over to that 24 hour diner and get us both a hot meal and some hot chocolate?”


“So is that why you’re on the streets? Do you have anybody you can trust or a family member who can take you in? No? No one at all? Ok kid, this is the deal. I live about 30 blocks from here, just a metro hop away. But in the morning I’m gonna have to look into your story and if it checks out then… Ok, lets go home.”


“Hey Chad, you turn thirteen today, so I decided to take you out to our favorite place to eat and then after we can go see the Lion King right down the street. It's way different on a stage and you will love it.”


“You like eating at the 24 hour diner huh? Yeah, I will never forget that night either.”


“You look great son, and I know you will do just fine at Harvard. You held a 4.0 GPA all through high school and with the 2,000 hours of community service you did, helping feed the homeless, along with your honors letter to the president making him aware of the lives changed because of the many teens like you, gave you the outstanding GPA of 5.0. You worked hard son, and never gave up.”


“I want to thank Dean Welford for his constant support during my years as an undergrad and through my graduate program. Many have done so much for me, but tonight in front of all of my fellow students and faculty of this fine university, I want to give honor, love and a heart full of thanks to my best friend, counselor, rescuer, my Santa and chief detective of the city that never sleeps, my dad!”